For science this year we will be studying Swimming Creatures using Apologia’s Zoology 2 text. One project the kids and I are excited about is making ocean dioramas, a.k.a. ocean boxes. We made some simple ocean dioramas four years ago, but this year they will be a bit more elaborate.
For each chapter they will make another animal that they studied. I’ve been saving diaper boxes, so that each child will have their own. Below is the plan, including the supplies. I’m keeping all the supplies in a specified box to help this project go more smoothly. I found most everything at the dollar store and Wal-Mart (and the blue contact paper at a thrift shop). I’m going to order the Model Magic (75 1-ounce packages) at a great price from Amazon, which will allow each child to use one packet per animal, if they choose!
Join us throughout this year as I share how we made each animal and post pictures of our creations. I also have a special Swimming Creatures Pinterest board for more fun, creative ideas.
Scissors, white glue, glue gun, Model Magic, blue contact paper, rocks, colored felt, pompon balls, small clear applesauce containers, egg carton, construction paper, foam sheets, thread, glitter glue, seashells, sand dollars, googly eyes, small feathers, small styrofoam balls, toothpicks, yarn, small balloons, pipe cleaners, straws, paper bags, and a sponge.
- 1: Cover and line the box with blue contact paper.
- 2: Whale
- 3: Seal, walrus, or manatee (sitting in a rock)
- 4: Sea turtle (egg carton, foam sheets, googly eyes); sea snake (pipe cleaner)
- 5: Plesiasaur
- 6: Fish (felt cut-outs decorated with glitter glue, hung with thread)
- 7: Shark, ray, or lamprey
- 8: Crab (half a styrofoam ball with pipe cleaners and googly eyes)
- 9: Shell animal like hermit crab, oyster, or snail (use real shell and add the animal with Model Magic)
- 10: Squid or octopus (brown paper bag)
- 11: Sea Urchin (styrofoam ball with toothpicks), Sea star (Model Magic), feather star (feathers)
- 12: Jellyfish (small applesauce container with yarn), man o war (small balloon), anemone (Model Magic with pipe cleaners and paper clownfish
- 13: Sponge (piece of a sponge), marine tubeworms (straws and feathers)
(Post contains affiliate links)