Have you studied world geography in your elementary homeschool yet? Or, does the thought intimidate you? It doesn’t have to! There are some amazing resources out that that will make your study both super fun and super easy! Read on for The Ultimate List of Elementary World Geography Resources.
Disclosure: I get commissions for purchases made through affiliate links in this post.
The following books and DVDs go along perfectly with the elementary world geography online course My First Amazing Journey Around the World.
My First Journey Around the World online course
World Fast Fact Cards Download here:
Countries of the World Fast Fact Cards & Notebooking Pages
World Geography Resources
Thank you to the following companies for sponsoring the During-Launch Giveaway from August 10-15, 2020!
- Home School Adventure Co.
- Flip Flop Spanish
- Literary Adventures for Kids
- They Call Me Blessed
- Homeschool Giveaways
- Mr. D Math
- Our Journey Westward
- Techie Homeschool Mom
- Geography Matters
- Masterpiece Society
- Music in Our Homeschool
15 Winners, Prizes worth over $600, prizes are for various ages (elementary through adult!)
These are the prizes:
- Home School Adventure Co. One winner gets Walking with the Waodani unit study, ebook version ($18.95 value) The winner is Jenna G.
- Flip Flop Spanish One winner gets See It and Say It Whole Family Spanish curriculum, digital version (flash cards not incl.) ($49.97 value) The winner is Suzanne K.
- Literary Adventures for Kids One winner gets Number the Stars online book club ($20 value) The winner is Priscilla.
- They Call Me Blessed One winner gets Hebrew for Homeschoolers online course ($77 value) The winner is Erica D.
- Homeschool Giveaways One winner gets Geography Activity Pack, ebook version ($15 value) The winner is Melanie C.
- Mr. D Math One winner gets Flamenco Dance online course ($97 value) The winner is Luca M. R.
- Mr. D Math One winner gets Flamenco Guitar online course ($97 value) The winner is Mariette.
- Notgrass One winner gets Homeschool History annual membership ($24 value) The winner is Amanda.
- Our Journey Westward One winner gets Desert Biomes No Sweat Nature Study ebook curriculum ($14 value) The winner is Lillian W.
- Our Journey Westward One winner gets Rainforest Biomes No Sweat Nature Study ebook curriculum ($14 value) The winner is Wendy.
- Techie Homeschool Mom One winner gets Christmas Around the World Online Unit Study ($24 value) The winner is Myra F.
- Techie Homeschool Mom One winner gets Ancient Greece Online Unit Study ($24 value) The winner is Erin I.
- Geography Matters One winner gets Ultimate Geography & Timeline Guide, digital version ($34.95 value) The winner is Kim C.
- Masterpiece Society One winner gets Art Appreciation Complete Set Two, ebook curriculum ($87 value) The winner is Janet B.
- Music in Our Homeschool One winner gets $25 Amazon Gift Card to buy geography resources! The winner is Juli M. F.
Rules: You must be 18 or older to enter to win. I ask that you only enter the giveaway if you are a homeschool mom or a teacher. Gena, I Choose Joy!, and Music in Our Homeschool are not responsible if the companies above do not fulfill the prizes to the winners.
See below for more detailed descriptions of the giveaway prizes!
Ecuador Unit Study
Home School Adventure Co. has an exciting unit study called Walking with the Waodani: Adventures in Ecuador by Stacy Farrell.
It’s a unit study that will is a unit study that will introduce your family to some of the most amazing people and places, meals and markets, animals and agriculture, and worlds and worldviews of the country of Ecuador — as experienced through the eyes of a homeschool graduate.
- Hear the story of the five martyred missionaries of Operation Auca.
- Learn how Jesus transformed a savage killer into a humble evangelist — and fostered a deep and abiding love between a young man and the warrior who murdered his father.
- Review exotic recipes for ferocious fish and giant grubs.
- Discover how one of the first flying cars can be used to meet needs of those isolated in the jungle.
You can get a free preview of the Walking with the Waodani study here:
Geography Activity Pack
In the Geography Activity Pack, students will explore every independent country in the world plus discover the most significant mountains, deserts, rivers, and lakes. 124-pages
- Cheat sheets for 199 countries, capitals, continents, and regions
- Worksheets for students to label 130 physical features
- Worksheets for students to label all 199 countries
- Fact cards with maps of the regions of the world along with the countries found in each and their capitals
- Blank fact cards with maps of the regions of the world along with the countries found in each with blanks for students to write their capitals
New: Daily Skill Building: World Geography & History:
Do you need a middle school or high school world geography and history curriculum that is fun, easy to use, and open and go – no teacher’s guide required?
Your students can dive in with Daily Skill Building: World Geography & History and learn about the geography and history of the 102 independent countries of Africa and Asia.
Includes text, student book, and answer key. For grades 5 and up.
Flamenco Dance and Guitar Instructional Courses
Mr. D math doesn’t just have math courses! I was thrilled to learn about his courses in Spanish Flamenco Dance and Flamenco Guitar.
Flamenco Dance online course
Miss Marta is your teacher. Through the online course site, you’ll learn what Flamenco dance is and how to do each part of the choreography. Many of the lessons encourage the student to video themselves dancing and submit it to the teacher to get feedback!
The lessons include
- Introduction to Flamenco Dancing
- Beginning Footwork and Hands
- El Golpe and Body Posturing
- Zapateados and Arms
- More Pitos and more Marcajes
- Putting it all together, part 1
- Putting it all together, part 2
- Review for final choreography
- Final choreography
Flamenco Guitar online course
Diego, one of the best flamenco guitarists in the world, is your teacher for this beginning Flamenco guitar course. Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Introduction to Diego Losada and the Flamenco guitar
- The Complete Arpeggio
- All Thumbs
- Review and the “Picado”
- Playing with the Left Hand
- Putting it All Together
The Ultimate Geography and Timeline Guide 4th Ed.
Geography Matters is excited to release the 20th Anniversary Edition of The Ultimate Geography and Timeline Guide. A number of changes makes this proven resource even more user friendly.
- Fully updated
- New website listings
- Fresh new look
- More convenient size
- 180 printable student pages, maps, and charts in digital download format
This one source book provides you with all you need to know to teach this vital subject from kindergarten through high school. Part lesson plan, part unit study, part inspiration, and more.
From selecting appropriate reference materials, to constructing a timeline, to establishing a student notebook, this book will guide you through literature (with Hans Brinker, or the Silver Skates), science, history, and includes a complete multi-level geography course for middle and high school students, with Geography Matters’ reproducible outline maps. To help keep history in perspective use any of the over 300 historical timeline figures, and notebook timeline.
This is a recommended resource for use with Trail Guide to World Geography and is referenced by page number throughout the course.
The See It and Say It Flip Flop Spanish bundle is a two-year curriculum designed around the Charlotte Mason methodology. Simple concepts and words are introduced as pictures and once the foundation of a new language is established, the program builds the student into a bilingual speaker. Designed specifically for audial, visual, and tactile learning styles, See It and Say It Flip Flop Spanish has all the tools necessary to engage every type of student.
- Fun for the Entire Family
- Minimal Lesson Plan Preparation (Each week (one lesson) will include three sessions, approximately 15 minutes each. The parent’s prep is to simply find the cards, lay them out, and push play.
- Easy Implementation
- Supplemental Materials / Ideas
- **Flashcards need to be purchased separately to make the ebook functional
Hebrew for Homeschoolers for beginnersis a unique online course written by Ana Willis.
- The Alef-Bet (Hebrew alphabet)
- Basic vocabulary
- Biblical vocabulary
- Hebrew songs
In only 10 weeks you and your children will be able to read, write and speak Hebrew for beginners and have basic conversations. How fun will this be?
Masterpiece Society has an amazing set of artists from around the world.
Masterpiece Society Art Appreciation Bundle, Set Two (6 Volumes) includes:
Cassatt, Cezanne, Degas, Durer, Matisse, & Vermeer
This digital curriculum for homeschool art appreciation has been developed with the busy mom in mind – no prep time or other materials necessary – photographs of each painting, lessons, kid-friendly video links, art templates, and notebooking pages are all included!
Online Unit Studies
Techie Homeschool Mom has the BEST online unit studies! There are four that are particularly good for world geography:
Learn about how Christmas is celebrated in 10 different countries around the world, including their Christmas traditions. Create hands-on and digital projects and prepare an ethnic Christmas feast!
- Introduction to Ancient Greece
- Ancient Greek City-States
- Daily Life in Ancient Greece
- City Life in Ancient Greece
- Greek Arts & Architecture
- Greek Innovations
- Greek Warfare
- Greek Mythology
- Host a Greek Symposium
Along with fun hands-on projects, students will learn to create an online Time Travel Journal using a presentation webtool.
Online Book Club
Literary Adventures for Kids has some incredible online book clubs. The one I’d like to feature here is about the book Number the Stars.
In this course, Number the Stars Online Book Club, we will read through the book Number the Stars by Lois Lowry. As we are reading, we will go on rabbit trails of discovery into history, language, religion, and more. We will find ways to learn by experiencing parts of the book through hands-on activities.
At the conclusion of the story, you’ll have a party to celebrate the bravery of the Danish people.
Join us on an adventure into this heart-gripping historical fiction about the courage of a few people who stood for what was right.
No Sweat Nature Studies
No Sweat Nature Studies are perfect for homeschool moms who want a nature-study-ish type of science curriculum for their kids, but aren’t the best at getting outside and making it happen themselves (like me!).
I’m using these studies, as well as the twice-a-month No Sweat Nature Study Live classes for our elementary science this year.
The two that fit perfectly with world geography are Desert Biomes and Rainforest Biomes.
Eight creative lessons, appropriate for multiple ages between 1st-8th grades, cover the following topics:
- What are Desert Biomes?
- Famous Deserts
- Typical Desert Temperatures
- Desert Plants
- Diurnal Desert Animals
- Nocturnal Desert Animals
- Desert Landforms
- A Special Oasis
Be careful. After finishing this curriculum, you just might want to visit deserts all over the world in person!
We can learn amazing facts, watch really cool videos, observe the most colorful specimens you can imagine, and have some fun with rainforest experiments. It will almost be like we’re there. Almost.
Each time we venture into the rainforest, we can focus on something new and exciting:
- What are rainforest biomes?
- How is a tropical rainforest different from a temperate rainforest?
- What are the layers you find in a rainforest?
- What does biodiversity mean?
- What are the most colorful animals you can find in rainforests?
- Do dangerous animals live there?
- What are some interesting rainforest plants?
- Do medicines and spices really come from the rainforest?
Homeschool History Membership
The Homeschool History membership from Notgrass helps you find history-related (and geography-related!) videos, websites, games, and more.
Homeschool History is a web-based app that you can access from any device. Search by topic, time period, country or region, and type of resource. Find books to check out at your local library. Find videos available to watch for free and movies available on streaming services. Find field trips near and far. Connect with other parents to share ideas and identify the best resources for your family.
$25 Amazon Gift Card
Use this gift card to buy a geography resource like a game, globe, map, or books! Sponsored by Music in Our Homeschool.
Thank you to the following companies for sponsoring the Big Pre-Launch Giveaway from August 3-7, 2020!
- The Mystery of History
- Bright Ideas Press
- Productive Homeschooling
- Funda Funda Academy
- Lets Go Geography
- Captivating Compass
- Homeschool in the Woods
- Chalk Pastel
- Music in Our Homeschool
15 Winners, Prizes worth over $700, prizes are for various ages (elementary through adult!)
World Music for Elementary from Music in Our Homeschool
Description: Learn about traditional and folk instruments, folk dances, & traditional musical styles from all around the world.
Travel around the world with us in this super fun, easy-to-use, click-and-go music appreciation course. You and your students will LOVE the 65 lessons included in the World Music for Elementary online course! Each lesson is about the music of a different country or area of the world. You’ll learn about unique instruments, folk dances, songs, and styles.
- Listen to music sung in other languages.
- See indigenous people perform their music for you.
- Learn to love the people and their music from all around the world!
World Music for Elementary is a perfect complement to any world geography or history course. Each lesson should take you around 15-30 minutes, excluding the Optional Activity. Some lessons, but not all, include instrument notebooking pages as well!
Check out Free Previews:
- Free Preview lesson for New Zealand here.
- Free Preview lesson for Slovakia, Slovenia, and Serbia here.
- Read “How to Use and FAQ” here.
- Free Samples of World Instrument Notebooking Pages and World Fact Cards printables.
Every lesson also includes an Optional Activity which requires more time, and often requires extra materials, so that’s why they are optional! Pick and choose which you like, simplify them, or feel free to skip them all.
What are some of the optional activities?
- Make a homemade world instrument
- Learn a folk dance from another country
- Do a craft or art project inspired by the country
Giving away: Two winners will receive lifetime access to the World Music for Elementary online course. ($57 value each). The winners are Michelle S. and Donna H.
The Mystery of History:Audiobook of The Mystery of History, volume 1
World Maps and Country Study Notebooking Pages from Productive Homeschooling
Productive Homeschooling provides notebooking pages for all ages and all subjects!
Giving away: One winner will receive both sets (World Maps and Country Study). (total value $8). The winner is Kezia G.
Around South America in 30 Daysonline course from Funda Funda Academy
Description: Learn about South America through interesting videos, infographics, fun games, web quests and hands-on activities. We have included a variety of different types of activities in order to appeal to different learning styles. Work through all the assignments in each module – or just the ones you choose. The unit study covers the physical and political geography of South American and takes a quick look at the countries that make up the continent
Giving away: One winner will receive Around South America in 30 Days. ($20 value). The winner is Hilda M.
LetsGoGeography Geography courses for Elementary
Description: Your K-5th grade student will explore a different country in almost every lesson. Each unit is about 35 pages long and packed with activities for maps, flags, songs, writing, looking at pictures, watching videos, coloring, and making a project based on the theme country.
You get 32-week’s of lessons that can be used with multiple kids in multiple grade levels. Each lesson features a fun craft.
Giving away: Two winners! One will receive Year 1 and the other will receive Year 2. (It doesn’t matter if you start with Year 1 or Year 2. They just cover different countries of the world.) ($27.99 value, each course) The winner of Year 1 is Becky C. The winner of Year 2 is Neches.
Description: Maps are an integral part of many homeschooling projects, from lap-books to notebooks to posters. WonderMaps is sure to become a go-to resource! A customizable, printable collection of over 300 maps, WonderMaps includes:
- Historical and modern-day maps
- Outline, reference, political, and topographical maps
- Black-and-white and color maps
- Features including names, borders, rivers, cities, physical features, and graticules
- 75 Maps of the World
- 60+ USA Maps
- 150 Historical Maps, Including 30 Biblical Maps
- Complete map sets to accompany The Mystery of History Vol. I-IV and All American History Vol. I & II
Giving away: WonderMaps to one winner! ($49.95 value) The winner is Julie S.
World Maps from Homeschool in the Woods
Description: The World Maps set offers maps in Ancient and Modern styles! Determine locations of countries, cities, landforms, rivers, and bodies of water in relation to the world around them! Maps are offered in a variety of ways, such as with and without labels, with and without particular borders, and with a blank title frame for you to fill in for specific projects! Create your own titles such as the Crusades, The Silk Route, Barbarian Invasions, weather patterns, and much more! Modern maps contain political lines while the ancient maps are presented in physical map format.
Giving away: One winner will receive a digital copy of World Maps. ($18.95 value) The winner is Bradi.
You ARE an ARTiST Complete Clubhouse is an Art membership, which includes lessons for the World Landmarks series. Membership includes access to all lessons and to exclusive series: Maps, World Landmarks, Hymns, Famous Artists, Presidents and much more.
My First Amazing Journey Around the World elementary world geography course
Giving away: Two winners will receive lifetime memberships to My First Amazing Journey Around the World. ($77 value each). The winners are Valarie H. and Shannon A.
Two Captivating Compass courses
Giving Away: One winner will receive How To Turn Any Homeschool Curriculum Into A Family Travel Adventure. ($79 value) The winner is Jessica M.
More Amazing Geography Resources!
Around the World Stories
Christian Heroes Biographies
I have read numerous Christian Hero Biographies from Geoff and Janet Benge and I have loved every single one of them!
We read about Gladys Aylward when studying about China, David Livingstone when studying about Africa, and Nate Saint when studying about South America.
I also love the Heroes of History biographies they’ve written.
Exploring World Geography for high school
This new curriculum called Exploring World Geography by Ray Notgrass is a one-year high school course that describes and explains the world God created. Students will learn about mankind’s interaction with the world both in the past and in the present.
Your high school student will gain a rich understanding of physical and human geography through reading the narrative lessons, studying the maps and completing map assignments, reading literature about people and places around the world, completing writing assignments and hands-on projects, and gaining a Biblical perspective on world religions and culture.
More Online Unit Studies:
Ancient Egypt Online Unit Study Contents
- Egyptian Civilization
- Rosetta Stone
- Egyptian Daily Life
- Inventions and Technology of Ancient Egypt
- Ancient Egyptian Clothing
- Famous Egyptians
Along with fun hands-on projects, students will learn to create a digital presentation using a graphic design app.
Ancient Rome Online Unit Study Contents
- Introduction to Ancient Rome
- Roman Mythology
- Daily Life in Rome
- Roman Architecture and Engineering
- Roman Government
- The Roman Language
- Entertainment in Ancient Rome
- Roman Military and War
Along with fun hands-on projects, students will learn to create a Quiz Game app.
Gena’s Amazon Store
You can find links to many geography products and resources such as Globes, Maps, Atlases, Stories from Around the World, World Recipes, World Arts and Crafts, Costumes/Native/Folk Dress, Flags, Animals (books, stuffed, toys), and Games in my Amazon store here: World Geography Resources and Geography Books!