I mentioned in a previous post that I’m following (mostly) the Bluedorn’s classical education model that they write about in the book Teaching the Trivium. Their website is www.teachingthetrivium.com. (They have lots of free material there.) When I went to my first homeschool conference in 2002 (when my babies were 17 months and 6 weeks old!) I heard Laurie and Harvey speak. Even though I have read and heard about hundreds of other methods and systems of teaching kids, I always go back to this one as my basis.
Here are the 10 things to do before age ten:
1. Reading and Writing–intensive phonics, copywork
2. Oral Narration–have them practice “telling back” what they heard read.
4. Hearing & Listening–2 hours listening daily of read-alouds
5. Family Worship
6. Arts & Crafts
7. Field Trips & Library
8. Work & Service–including household chores
9. Discipline–establish first-time obedience
10. Play & Exploration–outside a lot, use real items (not just toys)