I mentioned in a previous post that I’m following (mostly) the Bluedorn’s classical education model that they write about in the book Teaching the Trivium. When I went to my first homeschool conference in 2002 (when my babies were 17 months and 6 weeks old!) I heard Laurie and Harvey speak. Even though I have read and heard about hundreds of other methods and systems of teaching kids, I always go back to this one as my basis.
Disclosure: I get commissions for purchases made through affiliate links in this post.
Here are the Ten Things to do Before Age Ten:
1. Reading and Writing–intensive phonics, copywork
2. Oral Narration–have them practice “telling back” what they heard read.
4. Hearing & Listening–2 hours listening daily of read-alouds
5. Family Worship
6. Arts & Crafts
7. Field Trips & Library
8. Work & Service–including household chores
9. Discipline–establish first-time obedience
10. Play & Exploration–outside a lot, use real items (not just toys)