If you’re an American homeschooler, then a U.S. State Study is most certainly on your list of things to do with your elementary homeschoolers. I just recently finished it up with my own kids, and am so happy to share with you today “The Ultimate List of U.S. State Study Resources.” If you have any other great ideas, be sure to leave them in a comment below.
Disclosure: I get commissions for purchases made through affiliate links in this post.
U.S. State Study Resources in Books
- Around the USA Study: literature-based geography and history study through the 50 states.
- Geography with Living Books
- 100 BEST Books for Kids from All 50 States (Easy Geography)
Include State Songs in your U.S. State Study
This is the perfect course to do with any state study! Listen to the state’s official –and unofficial –songs as you learn about each state. Videos of the songs, as well as links to lyrics and sheet music are included.
This course is all you need if you don’t want an additional state study curriculum since the state symbols and other pertinent information are included for each state.
One of my favorite parts of the course is the inclusion of additional songs that are representative of each state, but aren’t “official.” Many of these were recommended by those who live in and love their state. Thanks for sharing these with all of us! (If I missed your favorite, but sure to let me know.)
The “State Songs of the 50 U.S. States” Course is perfect for making geography study of the states of the United States comprehensive and exciting!
U.S. State Study Resources for Art
I love having the kids draw as we’re studying. This is a perfect way to learn about the landmarks and how t be a better artist at the same time.
American Landmarks Video Art Course Includes Learning to Draw:
- Golden Gate Bridge
- Liberty Bell
- Washington Monument with fireworks
- Yellowstone Falls
- Delicate Arch
- The Grand Tetons
- Lincoln Memorial
- Niagara Falls
- Civil War Cannon
Other Activities and U.S. State Study Resources
- USA Geography resources
- The Best Games to Teach Geography
- Lewis and Clark Louisiana Purchase Edible Map
O.K, this is so totally fun! It’s similar to making a salt dough map, but it’s actually edible. The recipe is included. I’m sure your kids will remember the Louisiana Purchase/Lewis and Clark trail after this activity!
- Eat Your Way Through the USA geography cookbook
- Hands-on Geography: Longitude/Latitude Mapmaking Activity
- Name That State! File Folder Game from Homeschool in the Woods
- What better way to learn about state names, capitals, and facts than with a game? The Name That State! file folder game is designed to help drill state shapes, names, initials, capitals, regions, and more. Players compete to see who can remember and claim more states in a game that can vary dramatically in difficulty, from basic beginner information to including more complex facts. ?
- The Scrambled States of America game
- 10 Westward Expansion Hands-on History Activities
These 10 hands-on history activities include making food, crafts, and games that those who moved to the western states of the U.S. would have made or played.
Writing and Printables for your U.S. State Study
Get these State Study Notebooking Pages at my Teachers Pay Teachers store here.
FREE PREVIEW: U.S. State Study Notebooking Pages
- Free Copywork of “Cattle” A Texas Poem
- Printables for Learning States, Abbreviations, and Capitals
- Free license plate game printable
I love the natural way this brings about learning geography of the states~ through a license plate game!
- Free copy of Explore the USA with Me, An Adventurer’s Travel Journal
- Free States and Capitals Printable
- Notebooking Pages State Study Notebooking Pages
- Each individual set of state notebooking pages includes a Notebook Cover (1 page), Map, Nickname, & Motto Page (1 page), State Facts Reporting Page (1 page), State Timeline Recording Page (1 page), State Symbol Pages – bird/flower, tree, flag, seal, song (6 pages), Map Pages (2 pages), Template Pages for History, Government, Famous People, Inventions, Tourism (2 pages each), Template Pages (Blank) – for your own topics (4 pages), State Symbol Pages (Blank) – draw your own symbols (11 pages), Cutouts for Notebooks or Lapbooks (3 pages), Travel Journaling Pages (4 pages), and 2 pages of Info, ideas, directions, and state facts.
- Our Journey Westward’s 50 States Notebooking Pages
- This 64-page set of notebooking pages is perfect to guide 2nd-6th graders on a research-based study of the 50 states of the U.S.A. It includes a notebooking page for each of the 50 states with a traceable map where your children can highlight notable places – like capital cities, key historical sites, and/or major tourist attractions. Additionally, cut and paste full-color flags and state seals (included in the download) to make each notebooking page colorful and complete.
- Crafty Classroom’s U.S.A. Activity Pack
- This set includes the U.S.A. Activity Pages, one for each of the 50 states where students map the location, capital city, landmarks, abbreviation, nickname, state flower, and state bird. Children color the state flag as well as the state flower and state bird with ample room to add interesting facts and notes. This activity pack includes two games to finish out your unit: USA Bingo & Roll Across America.
Find some of the best homeschool curriculum here.
High School U.S. State Study Resources
I’ll add more as I discover them, but here is state history resource, an online course for Alaska state history that meets the half-credit state history requirement for high school students.
Ideas for traveling to different U.S. States
Most of these are my own family’s road trip vacations. 🙂
- Onto Old Virginny by Way of Louisville, Kentucky
- California, Here We Come: San Francisco and Sacramento
- Visiting Hollywood
- Visiting Los Angeles
- Monterey, California
- Visiting Legoland California
- Colorado: Great Sand Dunes & Bents Old Fort
- Leadville, Colorado
- Vail, Colorado
- Colorado Springs, Colorado
- Omaha, Nebraska
- Vacation to USS Yorktown, WWII Aircraft Carrier in South Carolina
- Beach Vacation to Kiawah Island, South Carolina
- The Smoky Mountains in Tennessee
- Vacation to Dollywood
- Vacation to Mammoth Cave
- Niagara Falls area: Tips and Recommendations
- Road Trip Through Maine: Boat Tour and Pemaquid Point
- Road Trip Through Maine: Acadia and Bar Harbor
- Traveling with kids to South Dakota: Must-see sites and where to stay
- Travel with Kids to Southwest Idaho | Must See Sites | Places to Play
- Junior Ranger Programs | Explore National Parks with Children
- Assateague Island- A Guide to Visiting and Camping with Kids
- Washington D.C.
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Cincinnati, Ohio
- Pennsylvania: Hershey, Easton, Gettysburg, & Philadelphia
- Amish & Mennonite Country in Pennsylvania
- South Dakota Trip Journal
- Disneyworld Florida Tips
Giveaway worth over $175!
Hopefully like me, you’re enjoying your summer right now, but the next homeschool year is coming. If you aren’t sure about everything you’ll be using in the fall, you’ll LOVE exploring these resources for elementary students. And, then enter to win it all! The giveaway ends June 26, 2023.
Thanks to these amazing bloggers and brands that love supporting the homeschool community, we’re able to give back to homeschool families in the best way!
Check out this AMAZING Prize package!
|Mastering Handwriting from In All You Do – Students will learn manuscript/print and cursive at the same time in this 150-page printable pack. This curriculum takes children through prewriting drills before jumping in to letters.
|Homeschool or Education Coaching Session – 60 minutes from Ten Minute Momentum – In an education coaching session, we can work through solutions to specific homeschool or education challenges you are facing with your solution. This can be used if you are new to homeschooling or navigating how to send your teen to college.
|Healthy Eating Unit Study Bundle from Inside Our Normal – Everything you need to start your Unit Study on Healthy Eating beside a library card and food!! This bundle includes our popular Lapbook with lesson plans as well as themed copywork practice in both print and cursive
|Recorder Time with Mr. Jerry online course for ages 8 and up from Music in Our Homeschool – “Recorder Time with Mr. Jerry” s the course for struggling homeschool moms who want their kids to get a music education and for kids who want to learn an instrument! Mr. Jerry will help you effectively add music education to your homeschool! Your students ages 8 and up will learn to play the recorder within a semester. I’ll give you a video lesson for each session, only 7-12 minutes long, taught by master teacher Mr. Jerry; a 37-page workbook full of recorder finger diagrams, music theory worksheets, original recorder songs by Mr. Jerry, and three classic songs (Hot Cross Buns, Amazing Grace, and Ode to Joy); downloadable mp3 accompaniments to play along with; videos of incredible performances by professional recorder players so you can see what’s possible; and fun surprises from Mr. Jerry to keep the kids interested!
|Rebooting Sibling Relationships Video Series With Workbook from Our Crazy Adventures In Autismland – Ah, siblings. One minute they love each other and the next minute they are at each other’s throats. Be purposeful in nurturing their relationship with this 30 day challenge
Learn more about each of the 2023 Elementary Learning Giveaway Sponsors
This giveaway wouldn’t be possible without our amazing sponsors! We encourage you to visit their site and take a look around at all their wonderful products perfect for homeschoolers!
Thanks to these amazing bloggers and brands that love supporting the homeschool community, we’re giving away more than $175 in Elementary Learning Aged prizes!
Want to enter to win? Simply enter by following as many sponsors and partners on the form below, and you’re in it to win it!
You are responsible for reading the Terms and Conditions before entering. Entering this giveaway confirms that you have read and understand the terms.
a Rafflecopter giveaway