We have vacation time each year for Independence Day, and it’s always fun to find some easy and totally fun kid activities for the Fourth of July. I’m sure you’ll love what I’ve rounded up for you today! There are two dessert recipes: Easy-to-Make Patriotic Oreos and Fireworks Cupcakes. You’ll also love the fun Patriotic Printable pack that’s free for one week only!
Easy-to-Make Patriotic Oreos Recipe
Disclosure: I get commissions for purchases made through affiliate links in this post.
Ingredients for Easy-to-Make Patriotic Oreos Recipe
- 1 (15.35 ounce) package Oreo Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
- 2 (12-ounce) packages Blue Candy Melts Wafers
- 2 (12-ounce) packages Red Candy Melts Wafers
- Candy Star Sprinkles
- Optional: coconut oil or vegetable oil
Instructions for Easy-to-Make Patriotic Oreos Recipe
1. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper.
2. Melt candy coating according to package directions. If the candy is too thick to pour, add 1 teaspoon coconut oil or vegetable shortening. Stir well. Do not add water. You can add up to 1 tablespoon of coconut oil per bag of candy wafers.
3. Dip each cookie into melted candy. Remove cookie, tapping gently against the side of the bowl, allowing excess candy to return to the bowl. If air bubbles form, pop them with a toothpick. Place the cookie onto the waxed paper. Allow to set completely before proceeding to the next step. To speed the process, cookies can be refrigerated or placed in the freezer in a single layer.
4. Transfer melted candy coating to a piping bag or zip-top freezer bag with the corner snipped. Create solid lines of an alternating color across the cookie in stripes.
5. Sprinkle with star sprinkles. Allow cookie to set completely at room temperature or refrigerate for faster results. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Ingredients for Fireworks Cupcakes
- 12 cupcakes
- 2 to 3 cups vanilla frosting
- 1 (16-ounce) bag pretzel sticks (10 to 12 for each cupcake)
- Candy melt wafers in Red, and White, and Royal Blue,
- Sprinkling Sugar in Red, White, and Blue (also called Sanding Sugar or Sparkling Sugar)
- Candy Star Sprinkles
You will also need:
Instructions for Fireworks Cupcakes
1. Divide pretzel sticks to dip in three colors.
2. Place candy melts in a microwave safe bowl. Melt on high heat, stirring every 30 seconds until completely melted. Do not overheat. If the candy is too thick, add vegetable shortening or coconut oil in 1 teaspoon increments, up to 1 tablespoon, and stir well. Do not add water.
3. Place pretzel sticks on a fork or candy dipping scoop. Pour candy melts over the pretzel sticks, allowing extra candy to drip back into the bowl. Move pretzel sticks to waxed paper. Use toothpicks to separate the pretzels. Immediately sprinkle with colored sugar. Dry completely.
4. Pipe frosting over cupcake in a circular direction working from the outer edge of the cupcake towards the center.
5. Press 10 to 12 candy-coated pretzel sticks into each cupcake in alternating colors.
6. Top each cupcake with star sprinkles.
Star-Spangled Banner Printable Pack
This printable pack contains 15 pages:
- The first verse of the “Star-Spangled Banner” is in 3 styles of copywork (regular, dotted, and cursive), 4 pages each
- Two Coloring Pages
- A fill-in-the-blank page related to the “story behind the song.”
The “Star-Spangled Banner” printable pack is $2.
Get it here:
Or, download a free sample here:
3 More FREE Patriotic Music Lessons:
Here’s a Patriotic Online Music Lesson to do!
What other fun kid activities for the Fourth of July would you recommend? Please share in the comments below!