We have vacation time each year for Independence Day, and it’s always fun to find some easy and totally fun kid activities for the Fourth of July. I’m sure you’ll love what I’ve rounded up for you today! There are two dessert recipes: Easy-to-Make Patriotic Oreos and Fireworks Cupcakes. You’ll also love the fun Patriotic Printable pack that’s free for one week only!
Easy-to-Make Patriotic Oreos Recipe
Disclosure: I get commissions for purchases made through affiliate links in this post.
Ingredients for Easy-to-Make Patriotic Oreos Recipe
- 1 (15.35 ounce) package Oreo Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
- 2 (12-ounce) packages Blue Candy Melts Wafers
- 2 (12-ounce) packages Red Candy Melts Wafers
- Candy Star Sprinkles
- Optional: coconut oil or vegetable oil
Instructions for Easy-to-Make Patriotic Oreos Recipe
1. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper.
2. Melt candy coating according to package directions. If the candy is too thick to pour, add 1 teaspoon coconut oil or vegetable shortening. Stir well. Do not add water. You can add up to 1 tablespoon of coconut oil per bag of candy wafers.
3. Dip each cookie into melted candy. Remove cookie, tapping gently against the side of the bowl, allowing excess candy to return to the bowl. If air bubbles form, pop them with a toothpick. Place the cookie onto the waxed paper. Allow to set completely before proceeding to the next step. To speed the process, cookies can be refrigerated or placed in the freezer in a single layer.
4. Transfer melted candy coating to a piping bag or zip-top freezer bag with the corner snipped. Create solid lines of an alternating color across the cookie in stripes.
5. Sprinkle with star sprinkles. Allow cookie to set completely at room temperature or refrigerate for faster results. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Ingredients for Fireworks Cupcakes
- 12 cupcakes
- 2 to 3 cups vanilla frosting
- 1 (16-ounce) bag pretzel sticks (10 to 12 for each cupcake)
- Candy melt wafers in Red, and White, and Royal Blue,
- Sprinkling Sugar in Red, White, and Blue (also called Sanding Sugar or Sparkling Sugar)
- Candy Star Sprinkles
You will also need:
- Large open star tip
- Piping bag
- Candy Dipping Scoop (or fork)
- Waxed paper
Instructions for Fireworks Cupcakes
1. Divide pretzel sticks to dip in three colors.
2. Place candy melts in a microwave safe bowl. Melt on high heat, stirring every 30 seconds until completely melted. Do not overheat. If the candy is too thick, add vegetable shortening or coconut oil in 1 teaspoon increments, up to 1 tablespoon, and stir well. Do not add water.
3. Place pretzel sticks on a fork or candy dipping scoop. Pour candy melts over the pretzel sticks, allowing extra candy to drip back into the bowl. Move pretzel sticks to waxed paper. Use toothpicks to separate the pretzels. Immediately sprinkle with colored sugar. Dry completely.
4. Pipe frosting over cupcake in a circular direction working from the outer edge of the cupcake towards the center.
5. Press 10 to 12 candy-coated pretzel sticks into each cupcake in alternating colors.
6. Top each cupcake with star sprinkles.
Star-Spangled Banner Printable Pack
This printable pack contains 15 pages:
- The first verse of the “Star-Spangled Banner” is in 3 styles of copywork (regular, dotted, and cursive), 4 pages each
- Two Coloring Pages
- A fill-in-the-blank page related to the “story behind the song.”
The “Star-Spangled Banner” printable pack is $2.
Or, download a free sample here:
3 More FREE Patriotic Music Lessons:
See the free Star-Spangled Banner music lesson here:
Here’s a Patriotic Online Music Lesson to do!
And, a 15-Minute Music Lesson for Independence Day:
Here’s an awesome Fourth of July online unit study:
- Examine the Declaration of Independence
- Discover how fireworks are made
- Create a fireworks painting
- Design a virtual fireworks show
What other fun kid activities for the Fourth of July would you recommend? Please share in the comments below!
My husband and I have a non-profit which promotes music and the arts in our community. We are hosting live music in our town’s park on the 4th of July. Would it be okay if we printed perhaps 50-75 copies of the Star Spangled Banner coloring page to hand out to kids at the park? I administer the Facebook page which created the event and I would post a thank you as well as a link to your website.
Thank you so much for asking! Yes, you may print one page of this set (multiple copies of it) for the students in your park celebration. Please share the link to the full set on your Facebook page.
Blessings and Happy Fourth!
Thank you very much! I’ll tag you in the post. It will be sometime next week.