Years ago when I started researching how to homeschool high school, science was one of the classes that concerned me the most. I was fine with elementary and middle school science, but high school science is much more serious with math and labs! And, what about preparing my kids for college? Thankfully, I found College Prep Science Classes and Lab Intensives: a perfect solution for college-bound homeschoolers!
This is a sponsored post. I was compensated for my time. I didn’t receive any products or classes. All opinions are my own and are completely honest.
Who is Greg Landry?
Greg Landry is the man behind College Prep Science classes and lab intensives. He is a homeschool dad and former college professor. Today, through inquiry-based science, he enjoys seeing the “light” come on in the minds of his students.
He’s been teaching for over 20 years and is honored to have the privilege of working with students to prepare them for high school science, college science, and life!
College Prep Science Classes
College Prep Science offers several options for college-bound homeschoolers, including live, online science classes for grades 6-12 with a Christian worldview! Here are the classes they currently have available:
Online Classes Starting in September 2019
(2019 – 2020 Homeschool Year, September 2019 – May 2020)
- Biology – College Prep (9th-12th) – Two Semester Class
- Life Prep Biology (8th-12th) – Two Semester Class
- Chemistry – College Prep (10th-12th) – Two Semester Class
- Life Prep Chemistry (9th-12th) – Two Semester Class
- Physics – College Prep (10th-12th) – Two Semester Class
- Life Prep Physics (9th-12th) – Two Semester Class
- Human Anatomy & Physiology (9th-12th) – Two Semester Class
- Exercise and Sports Physiology (8th-12th) – One Semester Class
- Pre-Anatomy & Physiology (6th-9th) – One Semester Class
- Pre-Chemistry (6th-9th) – – One Semester Class
One Semester Online Classes Starting in January 2020
(Spring Semester, January 2020 – May 2020)
- Pre-Biology (6th-9th) – One Semester Class
- Pre-Physics (6th-9th) – One Semester Class
- Forensic Science & Human Anatomy (8th-12th) – One Semester Class
One Semester Online Classes Starting in May 2020
(Summer Semester, May 2020 – August 2020)
- Embryology – The Magnificence of Human Development (9th-12th) – One Semester Class
- Introduction to Biochemistry / Microbiology (9th-12th) – One Semester Class
College Prep Science 2-Day Lab Intensives
When my oldest sons (who just graduated from high school this past May!) were in 8th and 9th grade, I sent them to a 2-day Biology Lab Intensive through College Prep Science. (It was under a different name back then, but the same program. Some of the experiments and dissections might be slightly different.) They did the lab intensive in September as they were starting biology at home with me.
I was so happy with the experience they had during that day and a half that I sent my oldest daughter to the 2-day Biology Lab Intensive last fall. She had just completed Biology the year before and was starting Advanced Biology (Anatomy and Physiology).
One thing I love about these labs is that they do some advanced college-level experiments and dissections. They do an entire year’s worth of science labs in a day and a half! It doesn’t matter if they are doing at the beginning, middle, or end of their homeschool science course. And, it’s in a Christian environment from a qualified instructor. This is the perfect way to prepare for college!
I asked my sons to take pictures while they were in class. Here is what they brought me. Sorry for the quality, but I’m happy to have the pictures.
The Cow’s Eye dissection:
Fetal Pig dissection:
And, the kids get a cool t-shirt. My daughter said she loves this shirt!
The front says “College Prep Science” Colossians 3:23.
Colossians 3:23 is “Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men.”
The back says, “Learning. Loving. Leading. Living. His Creation. His Glory.
Here are a couple of pictures from my daughter’s Biology Lab 2-Day Intensive last year.
This fall (2019), my oldest daughter is doing the Chemistry 2-day intensive, and my second daughter is doing the Biology one.
Here is what they learn in the Biology 2-Day Intensive:
- Autopsy style dissections of Sheep brain and Frog
- An experiment to quantify and study diffusion and osmosis
- Isolate each student’s DNA as we study genetics
- Acid/base assessments will be performed
- Metric system applications to Biology and medicine
- Blood type and Rh Factor determinations on each student.
- Construct and learn the critical importance of graphing.
- Inflate preserved healthy and smoker’s lungs to investigate anatomical and physiological differences
- Students will eat candy, etc. for breakfast to produce a “glucose load challenge” to help them understand the pancreas, glucose absorption, diabetes, normal and abnormal glucose response curves, and the production and function of insulin. (usually done in college-level anatomy labs)
- Using stereoscopes and microscopes, we’ll look at the microscopic aspects of life.
- Use Phenylthiocarbamide to study genetics
- Do experiments to study the cardiovascular system, anatomy, heart rate, blood pressure, hemoglobin saturation, etc.
- Study the muscles and bones.
- Learn how to prepare and critique college-quality lab reports
Here is what they learn in the Chemistry 2-Day Intensive:
- Introduction to scientific thinking
- Collecting data & producing a college-quality lab report
- Properties of gases
- Atoms, matter & flame tests
- Elements, moles & periodic table
- Density and chemistry
- Temperature, solubility, and bonding
- Chemical kinetics
- Colligative properties
- Freezing point depression
- Chemical polymers & surface area
- Oscillating chemical reactions
- Metric system and chemical applications
Homeschool ACT and CLEP Prep
Currently available October 23 – November 13, 2019 or July 8 – 29, 2020.
Currently available June 3 – 24, 2020.
They’ll discuss the interesting and unique aspects of Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Anatomy & Physiology and also cover teaching science to your children who aren’t going to college as science majors.
They’ll discuss the ins and outs of creating good lab reports and interview homeschool students and homeschool moms.
The podcast will be perfect for listening with your children or alone.
Homeschool Science Freebies and a Giveaway!
You’ll love this great giveaway!
- Get “A List of 14 Mistakes to Avoid with Homeschool Science.”
- Enter to win a FREE full homeschool year online science class ($680 value)!
- The winner will be announced in their August 30, 2019 newsletter, so enter before that!
- College Prep Biology (grades 8-12)
- Life Prep Biology (grades 8-12)
- College Prep Chemistry (grades 9-12)
- Life Prep Chemistry (grades 8-12)
- College Prep Physics (grades 10-12)
- Life Prep Physics (grades 9-12)
- Pre-Biology and Pre-Anatomy & Physiology (grades 6-9)
- Pre-Chemistry and Pre-Physics (grades 6-9)
- Exercise & Sports Physiology and Forensic Science (grades 8-12)
- Human Anatomy & Physiology (grades 9-12)The winner may choose from one of these classes:
- It’s an online class, so anyone in the world is eligible for this giveaway!
College Prep Science Classes Discount
Use code H8 for an 8% discount on any class at College Prep Science. Promo code expires August 30, 2019.
Excited about College Prep Science’s homeschool science classes? Click here to visit the site and learn more!