How many memberships are you a part of? Do you subscribe to any “boxes of the month?” I believe that memberships and subscriptions are here to stay and will only grow with time. Memberships by homeschoolers are the perfect model for running your own business and getting recurring monthly revenue!
Disclosure: I get commissions for purchases made through affiliate links in this post.
My Membership Story
I started my online business in earnest about 6 years ago with some printable ebook curriculum and then I turned those into online courses. Things were going ok, and I was making a few thousand dollars a year. It was enough to pay for my time, but not enough to make a dent in our family budget.
After watching a free workshop about how to start and run a membership, I decided to give it a try. I launched my first membership, Music in Our Homeschool Plus: the Elementary Membership Experience, in November 2019. In 2020 my business took off. My membership grew, and so did my monthly “paycheck!” In September 2020 I launched a second membership called Fine Arts in Our Homeschool Plus: the High School Membership Experience.
To simplify for both me and my members, I’ve now combined the two memberships into one! Music in Our Homeschool Plus now provides music and fine arts for preschool through high school!
How I Finally Grew
- It can work for you, too!
- Gena’s Sweet Bonus (worth $800): I’m going to help you by going through the course with you and we’ll have a weekly coaching call! This will help you stay with it and get the work done to get your membership off the ground.
Testimonial from Michelle H.:
“Having a small group session [from Gena] to go along with TME added so much value to the experience. It provided a space to get feedback on assignments that was less intimidating than a large group setting and the extra accountability helped keep me on track and making progress!”
Get on the waitlist and/or register for the FREE workshop or webinar if it isn’t open right now!
Check out my own membership journey here:
I occasionally got some good sale months in the early years when I’d launch a new course that did well. But, the big changes came when I started my MIOH+ membership (Music in Our Homeschool Plus). And, then, after I went through Stu McLaren’s course The Membership Experience (which used to be called The Tribe Experience), and applied what I learned from him, I now have consistent monthly recurring revenue without having to keep creating new courses and launch them!
Membership Talk with Gena
I want to help you with your ideas for starting a membership! Please join my FREE private Facebook Group called Membership Talk with Gena here.
Membership Talk with Gena is a place for those who want to talk about starting or growing a membership/subscription box/recurring revenue stream! Starting my music education membership in 2019 was the BEST business decision I’ve ever made!
Let’s talk about getting your membership started!
Download a Free Guide here:
The Ultimate Step-By-Step Guide to Start, Launch, and Grow a Successful Membership Site:
- Find the perfect market for your membership
- Establish yourself as the “go-to” expert
- Attract an awesome group of like-minded followers
- Step off the content creation treadmill
- Choose the best pricing model (so you can make money!)
A Membership for Moms with Businesses
Fast forward to 2022. I decided to start another membership, a business book club for homeschool moms with businesses. It’s called the Homeschool Mompreneur Business Book Club. So far we have read The Miracle Morning by Hal Elrod, Building a StoryBrand by Donald Miller, Free to Focus, and some other great books. We support each other by adding accountability for finishing reading as well as implementing something into our lives or businesses!
Memberships by Homeschoolers (with a FREE Printable)
If you’re a homeschooling family, you might be wondering what your family could do to add another income stream. What memberships by homeschoolers are already out there that are successful? Let’s brainstorm some ideas together.
First, let’s talk about some of the popular memberships/subscriptions out there right now to get our minds thinking bigger:
- Video: Netflix, Disney Plus, Hulu, Starz, Rightnow Media
- Variety (video, free shipping): Amazon Prime
- Music: Spotify, SiriusXM
- Educational: Worldwatch News, Curiosity Stream
- Software: Adobe Creative Cloud
- Subscription Boxes: clothes (Stitch Fix, Wantable), pets (Barkbox), makeup (Birchbox), Artza Box
- Education Subscription Boxes: KiwiCo, Little Passports, BitsBox
- Gaming: PlayStation Plus, Xbox Live Gold
- Services: discounts, free product, and/or free shipping each month, coaching, tech help
- Books: physical, ebook (Kindle Unlimited and Scribd), audiobook (Audible)
- Homeschool Curriculum: Teaching Textbooks, Compass Classroom Premium Membership, College Prep Genius, Music in Our Homeschool Plus
Are ideas swirling around in your head for what kind of membership business you could run?
FIRST: Download the free printable below: 70 Membership Business Ideas for Homeschoolers
SECOND: Sign up for the Free Workshop (read more about it below).
Get a free download of “70 Membership Business Ideas for Homeschoolers”
**It’s very important NOT to say to yourself, “But, someone else is already doing my idea.”
No one is doing it like YOU will.
And, you will find people who love YOUR WAY of doing it!
Free Workshop to Learn All About Memberships for Homeschoolers
Memberships have been proven to work in THOUSANDS of markets, by business owners who have been growing and thriving, even in this past year’s uncertain economy!
Want to think about giving it a go?
Launch your own membership business?
And here’s the really great news. You can learn how from the “go-to guy” for memberships, my good friend Stu McLaren, in a LIVE Workshop he’s putting on next week…
This was the exact free training I went through before I launched my first membership!
The training is 100% FREE to attend and it starts on April 20!
For more than 14 years, Stu has helped launch THOUSANDS of highly-profitable membership and subscription businesses. And the blueprint he’s going to share with you on April 20 is normally reserved for his private clients and customers ONLY. But for a very limited time, you’re getting access to all his proven strategies and insights.
Here’s a sneak peek at what Stu will cover:
- How to know if your business is a good fit for a membership.
- Why memberships are the business model of the future and why NOW is the time to launch one of your own.
- An inside look at CURRENT examples of thriving online membership businesses.
- What it takes to attract the right people to join your membership.
- Plus, a simple process thousands of membership businesses are using to launch and scale…even in times of uncertainty.
This training only happens once a year and seats will fill up fast.
Do you have any other memberships by homeschoolers ideas that I didn’t include? Please leave a comment below to share!
My Favorite Tools to Use in My Business:
- Descript for video editing
- WP Engine for website hosting
- Restored 316 for WordPress themes
- Teachable for hosting an online store, courses, and memberships
- ActiveCampaign for email service provider
- Jasper for AI writing
- WebinarKit for evergreen webinars
- Canva and Picmonkey for creating graphics and videos
- Blogger Newsletter Hops for collaborations to grow my email list
- AppSumo for lots of great deals on business tools (such as Deposit Photos graphics)
- Marquiz for creating a marketing quiz
- Courses I’ve taken that have helped me grow: Sticky Blogging, FB Ads Intensive, (here’s a free FB Ads Bootcamp), TPT Profit Booster Bootcamp, SEO for Teacher Authors, Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing
- Sales Page Templates
- Email Marketing Membership
- Jasper for AI writing helps
- Planners I’ve used: Full Focus Planner, Living Well Planner, Cultivate What Matters Goal Planner