As a homeschool mom of eight kids who is about to start her 17th year of homeschooling, I can tell you that sometimes it’s fun to mix it up a little. That’s what I love most about Science Unlocked, the new science subscription box lessons and activities from Home Science Tools. Check out my review of “The Dark Side” box here today, along with an unboxing video of the subscription box!
Disclosure: I received a “The Dark Side” box so I could effectively and honestly review it here. I also get commissions for purchases made through affiliate links in this post.
The Purpose of the Science Subscription Box: Science Unlocked
Science Unlocked provides you with easy lesson planning for doing science at home! Each kit is filled with a full month of lesson plans and all the supplies you need for hands-on science activities.
There are lots of options, so you can pick and choose which to do each month. Or, as I mentioned above, just choose a month to “mix it up” and try something new!
What Science Unlocked Boxes are Available?
At the time I’m writing this, these are some the Science Unlocked subscription boxes currently available:
- Fizz, Foam, and Fire (chemistry for 3rd – 7th grades)
- Rate of Reactions (chemistry for 8th – 12th grades)
- Flashy Feathers (biology for 8th – 12th grades)
- Power of Magnets (physics for 3rd – 7th grades)
- Making Sense of Senses (biology for 3rd – 7th grades)
- Magnificent Magnification (biology for 3rd – 7th grades)
- Hungry for Change (biology for 3rd – 7th grades)
- How’s it Growin’? (biology for 3rd – 7th grades)
- Good to Glow (chemistry for 8th – 12th grades)
- Newton’s Notions (physics for 8th – 12th grades)
- Raining on Our Parade (earth and space for 3rd – 7th grades)
- See you Around (earth and space for K-2nd grades)
- Feeling the Pressure (earth and space for 3rd – 7th grades)
- The Dark Side (earth and space for 3rd – 7th grades)
Notice that there are three grade levels available: K-2nd, 3rd-7th, and 8th-12th. And, there are four areas of science: chemistry, physics, biology, and earth and science. The boxes are available to purchase individually, or you can choose a set of 6 boxes for a full year of science for your student!
What’s in the “The Dark Side” Box?
I received “The Dark Side” science subscription box to do some earth and space science with my 5th grader.
It contains 5 main activities to do:
- Observe unusual traits the moon has.
- Create a miniature Earth-Moon-Sun system.
- Connect the patterns of the sky to Earth.
- Sketch the sky to learn more about the stars.
- Make your own constellation!
We will answer questions such as:
- What is tidal locking?
- How does the Earth-Moon-Sun system impact the Earth’s patterns?
- Is there a dark side of the moon?
- How are orbits and rotations impacted by other celestial bodies?
This is what’s in the box in order to accomplish the above activities:
How I’ll Use it in Our Homeschool
We start school next Monday, so we will do “The Dark Side” box lessons and activities as our science for the first month! As we go through it, I’ll head back here to add some pictures and my thoughts about how the lessons went.
Unboxing Video of “The Dark Side” Science Unlocked Subscription Box
What Else Home Science Tools Provides
Home Science Tools provides science education supplies and resources such as microscopes, rocks and minerals, chemicals, biology specimens and slide sets, books and curriculum, and science kits that work with specific science curricula. They have over 2800 products!
Here are some for you to consider:
Free Experiments by Season:
Get Your Back to Homeschool Science Checklist here:
- Homeschool Science Membership Review
- 7 Unique Ways to do Science in Homeschool High School
- Review of “Science in the Beginning”
- Totally Awesome Nature Study Ideas for Lazy Homeschool Moms
- 15-Minute Music Lesson of Music Inspired by Horses: Music in Nature Series