It’s that time of year again! The holidays are just around the corner, which means it’s time to start thinking about gifts you’ll be giving to others. If you’re looking for a unique, homemade gift idea, look no further than this macramé keychain tutorial. This project is simple enough for even the novice crafter or child, and can be completed in just a few hours. Plus, it’s a great way to use up any leftover help cord you might have from other projects.
Have you ever done macramé? It was super popular when I was a kid, but I haven’t done it for years. But, it’s making a comeback! Today I’d love to share with your this DIY Macramé Keychain. It’s the perfect homemade Christmas gift idea! So what are you waiting for? Grab your supplies and let’s get started!
Disclosure: I get commissions for purchases made through affiliate links in this post.
Scroll to the bottom for a GREAT Christmas Blessings Cash Giveaway!
Macramé Keychain Tutorial Supplies:
- Keychain ring
- Hemp cord
- Ruler or tape measure
- 3 Wooden beads (around 6mm, a different size will still work)
- Masking tape
Scroll down to download the
Macramé Keychain Tutorial in PDF
Directions for Macramé Keychain Tutorial:
- Measure your hemp, and cut 4 pieces, 3 feet long. You can do this with a ruler, but measuring out 12 inches, 3 times, for each piece of hemp you cut.
2. Line the ends of the 4 pieces of hemp up, then gather them, and fold in half.
3. Grab the strands by the middle loop, and push the loop through the ring of the keychain, then bring the end strands up, and through the loop, forming a knot.
4. Use a piece of tape to secure the keychain ring to a table or other hard surface to work from.
5. Now divide the strands. You will want 3 strands on the right, 2 strands in the middle, and 3 strands on the right. (The image shows 2, 4, and 2, but the beads would not fit, and I forgot to snap a photo the other way. You will see the correct number of strands in the rest of the images for comparison.)
6. Tape the end of the middle strands together and add a wood bead.
7. Make a square knot. Take the left strands and cross them over the middle strands to form the number 4, then lay the right strands on top, then up through the loop, and gently pull to tighten to form your first knot. Now repeat this same knot starting from the right strands on the other side.
8. Make a second square knot, like in the step above.
9. Add a bead.
10. Make two more square knots.
11. Add another bead.
12. Make two more square knots, another bead, and two more square knots (3 beads total).
13. Now measure and cut a 10 inch piece of hemp.
14. Make a wrap knot. Take your 10-inch piece of hemp, put one end upwards, and create a small loop. Grab the longer strand and wrap it around all of the strands of hemp 5 or 6 times, looping downward as you go. Put the end through the loop, grab the small end at the top, and gently pull and tighten them to create the knot.
15. Cut the ends that are sticking out.
16. Now trim the loose ends of the hemp, about 1-2 inches from the bottom of the knot.
Customizing Your Macramé Keychains
One of the best things about homeschooling is that we have the time and flexibility to get creative with our kids and make things together. This Christmas, why not make homemade gifts for friends and family? These macrame keychains are easy to make and can be customized to each recipient. Use different colors or designs of beads or hemp cords. You can even find beads with letters on them to spell someone’s name!
**What other homemade Christmas gifts do you like to make? Please share in a comment below!
Download the Macramé Keychain Tutorial in PDF:
Related Homemade Christmas Gift Ideas:
- Scrabble Tile Christmas Tree Ornament
- Decoupage Photo Christmas Ornaments
- Photo Snow Globe Tutorial
- Crafty Kids Christmas Break Camp
Christmas Blessings Giveaway:
Another year, another Christmas! The most wonderful time of the year is upon us. And some of the best things about this time of year is that it’s a time of gratitude, togetherness, and celebration.
I have teamed up with some pretty generous bloggers for the 9th annual Christmas Blessings Giveaway to bless FIVE families this year. In the past, we have had two winners for this giveaway, but this year we wanted to give to even more families – we are giving away $200 gift cards to 5 families! Each winner will get a $200 gift card to wherever they choose – a restaurant, clothing store, grocery store, online retailer – any place that offers gift cards!
There are lots of entry options in the Rafflecopter form below – the more you enter, the better your chance of winning! I know it can seem tedious and time-consuming to go through all the entries, but isn’t a chance at $200 worth it? I think it is! Plus, all of these amazing bloggers donated their own money towards the prizes, so this giveaway wouldn’t be possible without them. I hope you’ll take the time to check out each one. Who knows, maybe you will find some new blogs to follow.
The giveaway will run from Monday, November 14th through Wednesday, November 23rd (ends at 11:59pm EST). Winner will be notified by email shortly after the giveaway ends and will have 48 hours to respond to claim the prize or another winner will be drawn. By entering this giveaway, you agree to be added to the email lists of the participating bloggers. Please be sure to read the Rafflecopter terms and conditions upon entering.
I’m a fan of homemade gifts, but in the rush and exhaustion of the last few years, I’d forgotten how wonderful it is to give from my own hands. I’ve already bought Christmas gifts this year, but hopefully, I’ll be able to get back to giving homemade/handmade gifts again.
I love this, and I agree!